A Notice to our Families
Information on COVID-19
Updated March 30, 2020
At Sytsema Funeral & Cremation Services, we are committed to doing our part to minimize the impact of COVID-19 / Coronavirus in our communities, our own families and the families we are honored to serve.
We want to assure our friends and families in Muskegon and Ottawa Counties that we have taken every proactive measure to help prevent the spread of any potential illness. We are monitoring and closely following local, state and federal guidelines.
The CDC provided guidance on March 11, 2020 that stated:
- Decedents can be embalmed using proper industry practices
- Decedents can still be buried or cremated; and we comply with all state and local requirements.
Our Federal Government has named funeral home personnel “Critical Infrastructure Workers”. This means we as funeral directors and staff are essential workers and will continue to work through Governor Whitmer’s Stay at Home Order (E.O. 2020-21) of March 23, 2020:
- You are still able to have a funeral, as funeral services have been deemed an “essential activity” by the Governor’s office
- UPDATE - As of March 30, 2010, Michigan Funeral Directors Association is recommending funeral services, events or private family gatherings be limited to 10 people or less
- NOTE - this number has the potential of changing yet again in the coming days
Our goal is to honor loved ones, serve families, and keep our community healthy and safe.
Sytsema Funeral & Cremation Services is the leader in our communities because of how we treat families as friends. It’s where “sympathy and efficiency go hand in hand”. We are all in this together. We will all get through this pandemic, and we will all be stronger for it. We pray for God’s peace on each of you.